Sunday, September 28, 2014

News from Obregon (Emailed 9/8/2014)

Hey everyone!!  How are you all?

Ok, well lot's of different things happened this week.
So the sister that was baptized this week is a very interesting story.  She's fairly old, doesnt read or write and was never educated.   Her mom wasnt too nice to her all of her life and she never learned anything about religion.  She has grown to love the church and has been acting completely on her faith.  She has a problem though.  on each of her legs, she has these realy bad open wounds.  And they are big and really bad.  Have you seen the move about John Tanner?  They look like those wounds.  And they're from having way too many varicose veins.  It's pretty bad.  Anyways, we watched the John Tanner movie with her this tuesday.  That's when she accepted to be baptized.  Anyways, the spirit was super strong.  She listened intently to everything we were saying and I had scriptures and different stories popping into my mind, we were compelety guided by the spirit.  It was really great.  We also saw how powerful Satan can be too.  Everytime we were at a really spiritual part of the lesson, something would happen.  One of her sons would pass by or someone would drive by selling something or any sort of distraction.  But it was a great lesson and we didn't let anything get in the way.

Then saturday morning, we had tours in the church.  We made limonada and the elders had a sign and went out in the street trying to attract the cars and the people walking by.  Pretty hilarious!!  We had success though!!  Then afterwards, we had the baptism.  We were panicking a bit because obviously Maria Jesus cant walk very much with her legs, and she lives really far from the church.  We couldnt find a ride for her and we were running out of time.  it was almost 2 and we didnt have much money to call a taxi for her and didnt know what to do.  Then we received a miracle phone call from a member who had happened to pass by the house of Maria jesus and called us to ask if she should give her a ride to the church!  Time and time again I have witnessed little miracles like that.  Where imediately our prayers are answered and everything works out.

Anyways, sunday she was confirmed, and we had the fast and testimony meeting. 
It's pretty funny here though because everyone asks me how much time I have in the mission and I tell them or even when I'm just speaking with them.  They're all shocked and say that wow!  I speak spanish already!!  Then they laugh and say that they cant speak about me now.  makes me wonder if the people in my first area talked about me and I didnt understand.  But I guess this means that my spanish is pretty good.....  But I think it's just because I'm the first american sister, and the only american elders that have been in the ward recently were newish and didnt speak spanish...

Anyways...  Today has been pretty good.  It's funny because when I was in Guasave, there were only 6 missionaries total in the city so on mondays we didnt really get together.  now that I'm here in Obregon, Mondays are super different!  We got together as a district today and played soccer and ate pizza and talked.  Then afterwards other missionaries called us and a whole bunch of us met up at dairy queen and had a blast.  Hermana Mendez was there too!!  So I got to see her!!!

Ok, well love you all tons!!!  Have a good week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment