Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Alcoholics Anonymous?

Hola!

Yeah, I'll get to the title later... :)  But this week has been so crazy!!  Audino is officially baptized and he is amazing as ever!  He has so much faith and was so prepared!

The rest of the week has been a whole lot of awkward moments though!  Just practicing for the whole next 16 months!  Can you believe that!?  Only 16 months left on my mission!  That's really sad actually!

So story time!  I have some pretty good ones this week!  Lot's of good awkwardness...heheh...

So first of all, my companion and I were able to go by ourselves on Tuesday and Wednesday because our other comp had a meeting and then stayed with a member.  We had lots of fun and were able to do a lot of work!  It was really good!  Until I broke one of investigators cups when I went to kneel for a prayer and then spilled some soup everywhere at a member's house...  Then on Thursday we were eating at another members and I look over and their dog was peeing on my bag!  That's not the worst that's happened though, so I'm really un-phased by most everything now.  Kind of crazy!  Today we were actually riding on a bus, and let me tell ya, these buses are the most disgusting things you can ride in and I'm pretty sure they could fall apart any minute.  But there was a truck stopped in the road, so all of a sudden the bus driver slams on the brakes, and they don't drive slowly here, and then starts backing up until he came to an intersection as all the other cars just passed us.  Then he crosses the median over to the other side of traffic.  Cars are coming and there's not enough room, but that's not going to stop him!  So eventually he goes half on the median, tree branches are hitting people through the windows and we're just barely missing oncoming traffic!  Still - I'm used to that stuff already...

The only thing that still kind of bugs me is the bugs.  They're big, and they're everywhere.  I'm used to all of our little pets at home though, and most of the spiders just stay in their corners.  I've changed so much when it comes to that!  I can deal with them!  One of our biggest spiders disappeared the other day and we haven't seen him since!  I know he's still here somewhere though... kind of miss him... :)

And now I'm sure you're all wondering - AA?  Yup!  I spent Sunday night in Alcohol Anonymous in Mexico.  I can honestly say that I never thought I would have ever said that!   It wasn't bad though!  Audino and his friend Hermes, the one that originally referred us to Audino, run AA every night at 8, and they really wanted us to attend for support!  We couldn't stay the whole time because we had to go home, but who would've thought?

This is so great though!  I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to be here!  Even with all the horror stories of the heat - and other things I wont tell ya'll about ;)  I love it though!  I love seeing the hand of the Lord in everything and seeing other's and their willingness to change!  And then seeing Audino!  He was the happiest I have ever seen him and it's incredible to me how much the gospel really does bless the lives of others!  That's why I'm here!  Even when it's hard, the Lord is constantly blessing us!  I can't wait to bring others this joy!

Loving missionary work, missing y'all, love you so much!
Hermana Skeen

P.S.  I'll try to have more time for next week!!!  And maybe share some more stories that I didn't get to.  Really cool stuff here in Obregon!

2 comments:

  1. Hello I found this blog through the stat tracking on my sons blog, he is Elder Buttars and has been serving in the Obregon mission since last July when his mission split, he was in the Culiacan mission before that. He has been out for 15 months and loves his mission, I thought I would let you know a couple of things first there is a Facebook page set up by Sister Munive for the mission it called "Mision México Ciudad Obregón", second the address you have posted is wrong, they have it all screwed up (I was given 3 different addresses when the mission opened and the one I am sending you came from a forwarded message from the mission home) The first package I sent was to the address you have and I had problems getting it to him (it is the address for the church next door to the mission home), but not a problem since I recieved this one.... so here is the correct address:
    Mexico Ciudad Obregon Mission
    Calle Puebla # 530
    Col. Northern Zone,
    Ciudad Obregon, Sonora
    CP 85040
    Mexico
    you can also look it up on:
    https://apps.mtc.byu.edu/missions/

    Hope you enjoy ever minute of your Daughters mission
    Teri Buttars

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you that there is a misioary moms email that has lots of good info from other moms who have missionaries out in Mexico, anything from sending packages, to clothing need, to whatever you want to ask or need to know....here is a link, it takes a few days for you to join after you subscribe.
    http://ldsmissionarymoms.com/
    Also there is a lot of advice and none of it is MISSIONARY LAW, my best advice is to look at what is offered and do what is best for your own missionary and prayfully apply it to your situation.

    ReplyDelete